Sunday, January 12, 2014

Day 160 of 365: Let's Try This Again

So after weeks (or at least what felt like weeks) out of commission, today is the first day I can attempt running again. The injury on the top of my left foot is gone. I've been doing unmodified yoga and tai chi to start, followed by a bit of Zumba, and now I think I'm ready to attempt running again (at least running without re-injuring my left foot). I know that, since I do a natural run, I can look forward to cramped calves this evening and tomorrow. And, given that the Derry 16-Miler is only two weeks away and I am still hoping I can do 6 miles, there's a really good chance I'll have to pull out anyway (guess that "Failure's always an option" speech only has so much power).


The easiest thing would be to look at all this running and go, "You know what? You injure yourself way too much when you run. It comes with way too many setbacks. It's time to give it up."


And to them, I say, "Hush."


If there is anything I've learned in the real world, it's that everything comes at a price. Everything will have something you have to give up, or compromise, or reevaluate. In fact, even sitting around doing nothing comes at a price. It just so happens that the price you pay doesn't feel like much, but is actually the most detrimental in the long run.


I've ranted a million times about why I run, and why I won't shut up about running. I find peace of mind. I get into the best shape of my life when I consistently run distances. I love that I can go out onto the road and run for an hour straight and consider that a "light" run. I love that I'm already planning out my springtime half marathons. I love that I told my best friend that, if she had the gumption to move to Chicago, I would have to gumption to run the Chicago Marathon, and I refuse to let that fall by the wayside.


Sure, it would be easy to not run. It would be easy to not write my third manuscript. It would be easy to not edit, not constantly put myself out there only to get rejected, not to do anything that will make me look like an ass (most likely). But I do it anyway. Because life is too short to do anything but that.


So I'm off to lace up my shoes for the first time since just before 2014. I'll probably be huffing and puffing and have some of the worst running times of the last couple of years. But I'm doing it anyway, because it sure as hell beats the alternative.


Now, let's try this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment