Sunday, February 23, 2014

Day 202 of 365: Second Wind

If I haven't said it enough, I'll say it again: sometimes it's really tough to keep up with this blog.


You'd think, after over 200 days, I would get into my rhythm and this would be almost unconscious by now. But, especially after the editing marathon, I find myself dragging ass to write my posts for the day.


I find myself dragging ass to do so many things writing-related. One of the reasons why I hate talking about projects unless they have already been completed is that too much energy gets expended talking about what you are going to do and not enough energy is used to actually do it. To reword a trite saying: those who can, do. Those who can't, talk.


That's been the case with my collection of modeling essays. I found myself hitting a roadblock with editing recently. I knew some of the essays needed a proper rewriting, but I couldn't find the energy to do it. And I worried that the energy I needed to get over that hurdle had been used talking about the damn project in the first place.


But sometimes all it takes is something different to get that second wind. I decided I would be doing the cover photo for the project (if it gets accepted), especially since I've been trying to get better at photography -- specifically photographing people (including myself). I dolled myself up, set up my tripod, got to use my external flash for the first time, and posed my little heart out.


There were a lot of duds, a lot of shots that could have been it had the focus or the color balance been correct. And then there was the shot that I knew -- just knew -- was it.


And suddenly, editing my essays got a lot easier.


Sometimes that's all you need: something different to remind you that this is your passion. Something to get you out of whatever rut you were in.


So I think it's safe to say this is the last time I'm talking about it until things are final. Those who can, do. Those who can't, talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment