Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Day 275 of 365: Outside Meditation

I've been trying to do "coffee yoga" as a daily thing, but it has definitely fallen by the wayside over the last couple weeks. I think about all the stuff I need to get done and I can't convince my brain that certain emails can wait, that certain bits of homework can wait, that life in general can wait until I give myself a whopping five minutes to sit and drink coffee and just breathe.


The weather has been consistently nice enough that we've brought out our patio chairs to our porch. Today, I decided to force myself outside this morning. I would love to say that being outside in nature on a tenderly brisk morning was all I needed and I got lost in the reverie, but, really, I still chugged my coffee like it contained the antidote. I got a few moments of pause in but I eventually got too antsy and brought myself back inside to make this and that phone call, fill out this and that cell in an Excel spreadsheet, and so on, and so forth.


If anything, it was a reminder that I do not need to be inside for everything. I can bring my laptop out and do whatever it is that I need to do outside. I can mull over whatever it is I need to mull over while going on a walk (especially a nature walk, since right now is the only time you can walk in my woods without being attacked by mosquitos). It's not going to be as simple as, "I'm outside and suddenly I'm zen," but a change of pace is always welcomed. It was enough to get me to take 4 or 5 deep, slow breaths, and that's 5 breaths more than I would've typically had on any given morning.


Today my husband and I drive all the way up to Belmont (which is north of Concord, so thar be dragons) to look at some more furniture for our house. Best believe my windows will be down, sunroof opened, enjoying this rare spring weather while it is still here.

No comments:

Post a Comment