Saturday, May 24, 2014

Day 292 of 365: Honoring

So, it's official: I came, I registered, I transferred to the 5-mile race.


Am I thrilled about it? Not exactly. I have to be in Boston by 6:30 in the morning for this race -- not exactly something I would be doing for a 5-miler (which, as I've mentioned before, used to be the distance I would run if I haven't gone running in a while). But the last thing I want to be doing is pulling out of yet another race.


I had some seriously high hopes for this half marathon, especially since it was going to kickstart my actual marathon training (which might mean the Chicago Marathon for this year is a distant memory, and the implications for that are enough to complete send this post completely off track).


But if there is anything yoga has taught me, it's that I need to honor my body. Not just in the granola, "oh I love my body!" type of way, but respecting its limits and current limitations. And, truth be told, if I were 100% honoring my limits, I probably wouldn't even be running the 5-miler (as I seriously run the risk of reinjury). But what good would it do if I force myself to do the half-marathon, get more injured, force myself forward, and possibly do permanent damage?


I remember when I tore a muscle in my calf. I thought I would never see a day when it didn't feel like I was sporting a rock behind my leg. And those days are thankfully a distant memory. I might have to take a summer off from running (and put off marathon training indefinitely), but I have faith that this angry tendon, too, will be a distant memory. I just need to honor what my body needs right now, even if that means falling short of my personal expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment