Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Day 295 of 365: Class Exhaustion

So I'm going into month 6 of my yoga teacher training. I'm rounding out my last lecture with the anatomy class, the required reading has dropped dramatically, and the focus now is on the practicum and experiential learning.


I remember when I first learned I was going into teacher training -- specifically, when I learned I had a week to do a month's worth of work. I bent balls to the wall, devoting every free day to that coursework. I think about that time -- and I think about the first three months, which were academically intensive -- and I wonder how I ever did it.


Why? Because I am hitting class exhaustion. We were warned that we'd all hit that point in our training -- and, boy, did I hit it.


It reminds me why I continue to be so thankful that I went to Northeastern and dove headfirst into the co-op program. Just when I would get sick to death of school, I would hop into an internship. And just when I would get sick to death of the internship, I would hop back into school.


It almost makes you wish that life was always like that: a rotating schedule of class and work, class and work. Get out of the academic world long enough to miss it, get out of the working world long enough to hate the academic world and pine for a 9-to-5.


Granted, I have no idea when I'd ever work a 9-to-5 again, if ever. And teacher training wraps up in three more months. And heaven knows I have been having freelance work exhaustion (which lead me to putting the lid on promoting myself as a tai chi instructor for the time being).


I really don't know where this is going, aside from the fact that we all can benefit from a little variation. We all get exhausted with our routine. It's why we go on vacations, try to get promoted, quit work and go back to school, change career fields, and so on, and so forth.


Now, if you'd excuse me, I'm off to do more research for my project due in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment