Thursday, July 17, 2014

Day 346 of 365: Boston Half Marathon

Today I got the email that I have been picked to be part of the Boston Half Marathon this October.


I've been running with my husband as of late. He's trying to train up to a 5k; I'm trying to get used to running after injuring my hamstring tendon. I'm hoping I can actually force myself to see a sports doctor soon so I can get the all-clear to start upping the distance.


To be honest? I just want to finish this particular race. It's not about beating the 2-hour time, or even getting a better time than my previous half marathon. I just want to run without stopping for 13.1 miles.


Like I've mentioned before, I've been having a difficult time letting go of the fact that I'm not doing the Chicago Marathon. Given that the half marathon happens at roughly the same time as the Chicago Marathon, this is a bit of a consolation prize.


That, and -- since the BAA is the one hosting it -- the medal for finishing is almost identical to the medal for the full-out Boston Marathon. So... that's cool.


It's hard not to just lace up my shoes and go at it again. In some weird way, it's fitting that my zombie app has been on the fritz and I have to essentially restart the missions when I do go back to running for more than 15-minute stretches (but more on that later). But I understand that I'm not 20 anymore. I can't twist and sprain my joints and be perfectly fine the next day.


And it's also hard to admit that I should probably see a doctor first. The last time I went for a non-lady-doctor check-up, I ended up footing the bill for an ECG that my insurance company refused to pay for (although -- plus side? -- I don't have to worry about any hidden heart issues). That only makes my doctor-eschewing tendencies more severe. But, again, I'm not 20 anymore. I can't just heal up on my own anymore.


It's a surprisingly short amount of time between now and October. That freaks me out on so many different levels, but, hey, it's all good. Like I said before, I felt like if my number got picked for the BAA Half Marathon, then it was something I was meant to do. And dammit, I am going to do everything in my power to get that done.

No comments:

Post a Comment