Sunday, March 16, 2014

Day 223 of 365: Back in Action

After getting a few runs in while in Florida, I flew back to New England and signed up for my first half-marathon of 2014. I officially have until May 24th to bring my runner's legs back up to snuff for the Boston Run to Remember.


I still haven't forgotten the promise I made to my best friend: if she could have the chutzpah to move to Chicago, I'd have the chutzpah to train for the Chicago Marathon. Right now, that seems incredibly daunting, as my calf muscles are dragging ass (the one really shitty part about natural running is that, when you stop it, it's way more difficult to start it up again). I can get about 5 miles in before my calf muscles start threatening injury. And, given that I tore one of my calf muscles last year, I'm not exactly ready to tell my legs, "Man up!" and keep on going.


But I'm ready for another challenge. My 2013 half-marathon was one of the most challenging things I have ever done physically, and I'm so incredibly proud that I was able to accomplish it. I want to take that next step and really see what I am capable of. I'm riding off of the momentum I'm creating through my progress in yoga. Thanks to my kick-your-ass yoga class on Wednesdays -- which specializes in crazy arm balances -- I've been able to do moves I never thought would be possible. So if I can master twisted side crow, what's stopping me from mastering 26.2 miles?


The weather is finally warming up, and New England is finally thawing out. I've been gun-shy about running outside ever since my disastrous run in January, but 27* is definitely not -5*. It's time to lace up those shoes, tell myself that, once again, it's not a choice, and hit the ground running.


...Literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment