Sunday, December 1, 2013

Day 119 of 365: No More NaNoWriMo

Weirdly, even without my computer crashing, even without teaching full-time, this year's NaNoWriMo was a hard one. At least 25% of the time, I thought to myself, "Well, today's the day I break my streak."


But somehow I did it. A thousand words a day on a novel I was sludging through, 50,000 words total. My characters did things that surprised me. I wrote sentences that I knew for a bloody fact I would have to rewrite someday.


I am far from done with this novel. Given wear I am in the story, I'd say I have at least 30,000 more words before the novel is done. And then I edit. And I edit. And I edit forever.


So what is next? First off: a break. Whether that means I take a full break from this manuscript or I shrink my daily word count to something a little more bit-sized, I don't know. Part of me wants to capitalize on my essay going viral, but the other part of me knows that agents hate December, because December is National Amateur Novel-Submitting Month (NaAmNoSuMo?).


But -- holy crap -- I am exhausted. If that's not abundantly clear by the scatter-brained nature of this post. I'm going to update my (crafts) blog, maybe read over an essay I want to send to Thought Catalog, and, for the first time in a month, breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment