Monday, December 30, 2013

Day 147 of 365: A Busy Bit of a Week

I bounced from my textbooks to my computer yesterday, alternating between getting the prerequisite reading done for my first day of class (remember when the first day of class meant no homework assigned, at all, even for the second class?) and editing my hopefully-to-be-e-book-soon collection of modeling essays. Somewhere in the evening, my husband said simply, "Look at all the pokers you have in the fire right now."


It's going to be a busy couple of weeks. I start up my new tai chi place next week. There is a second place that has been alternating between coming up with a huge promotional plan and dragging their feet. I continue to write for Thought Catalog, only now I'm trying to space out my essays in a way that would work for the potential release of my e-book. And then there's my modeling memoirs. Granted, e-book through Thought Catalog is on a much lower level than, say, a nationally published trade paperback, but I still want it in its best shape. I've been chatting with one of the producers at Thought Catalog and he's already passed word to the publication department, which really puts the pressure on for me to deliver.


And then there's the Derry 16-Miler, which, to be honest, I still don't know how I'm going to be ready in time. I've somehow injured the top of my left foot and, combine that with dual muscle cramps in my calves and an ice storm, turning the roads into an ice rink, I'm already a day or two behind in my back-up-to-my-back-up training schedule. But, eh, what can you do.


It's been over a month since I've touched my third manuscript, and I really want to get back into writing it. I'm a solid 2/3rds of the way done, which is simultaneously exhilarating and frustrating as all getout. It's the 10-mile mark on the 16-miler, if you will. You've accomplished so much and you're closer to the finish line than where you originally started, but - fuck - you still have your work cut out for you.


And then, of course, there's this blog. Which, if you can't tell by the string of more personal diary-esque posts, is becoming a bit more difficult to keep up. But I'm inching in on the halfway mark, and like hell if I'm going to quit now. I'll seriously have nightmares where I find out that I forgot a day.


But I like that. I like being busy. I like having layers when it comes to what I put on my plate. Or, should I say, I like having had so many pokers in the fire. I like being able to look back and go, "Look at all the stuff I was able to accomplish. Look at what I could do."


There are some other plans in the works, but, again, man makes plans and God laughs, so perhaps a later time I'll be discussing those.

No comments:

Post a Comment