Monday, December 23, 2013

Day 140 of 365: Second Chance City

My husband and I went to see John Caparulo in Cleveland yesterday. For a successful comedian, he never really tours outside of the midwest/LA areas, so we capitalized on him being back in Cleveland (his hometown) and bought tickets to his show.


I've driven around Cleveland more times than I can count, but I've never been in Cleveland proper. Being a proper Bostonian (who sees anything west of the 495 loop as Thar-Be-Dragon-Town), I didn't think much of what Cleveland would look like. I remembered the houses from The Drew Carey Show and that was about it. So, much like Salt Lake City, I came in with next to no expectations for the city.


We drive into the downtown area and I'm shocked that it reminds me so much of Chicago. Much like how we drove into Salt Lake City and I was shocked at how beautiful of a city it was.


Preconceived notions are funny like that, especially when it comes to cities and towns. I remember going on downright missions with my old high school friends to other areas in New England after I moved to Nashua, if only to get a better feel for the all the different cities and town in New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, etc.


And -- color me shocked -- I really enjoyed myself in Cleveland, the same way I enjoyed myself in Salt Lake City.


I don't really know what the point of this entry is, except you never know until you try -- or visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment