Friday, December 6, 2013

Day 124 of 365: Funny Swearing

Once upon a time, I spent an absurd amount of money on concerts, seeking out my favorite bands and jumping on every single time they entered the Boston (or New England) area.


Now I'm an adult, and, while I still enjoy the occasional concert, my focus has now shifted to comedians. If I've laughed at their stuff on the comedy channel on Pandora, I probably have them on Ticketmaster alert.


That being said, my husband and I are seeing John Pinette tonight. We were introduced to John Pinette during one of our Ohio road trips. We had our comedy channel on and could not stop laughing over his jokes. He has a gentle nature about him -- until he gets frustrated. Suddenly his voice changes and he goes, "Son of a bitch!"


Speaking of seemingly-non-sequitur, I prefer swearing in Spanish. While my Rosetta Stone classes have been slowly chugging along, my Spanish is still on par with a stuttering 2-year-old. However, I have an arsenal of swear words that would get me kicked out of any day care.


What does one have to do with the other? Other than it's my blog and everyone can sod off? Because, when I'm getting really frustrated, swearing in Spanish (or saying, "Son of a BITCH!" the way John Pinette says it) helps break the tension. I'll never really get while shouting, "¡Mas puta!" will help calm things down, but it does. Perhaps because there's a disconnect between the words and the meaning for me. The same way "Son of a bitch!" is said in such a comical way that I can't help but see the humor in the situation.


Heaven knows I said, "Son of a BITCH!" plenty of times when we were dealing with our painters. It helped when things went horribly over schedule, when they lost the knob to one of our light switches, and when they, gee, got the colors mixed up and didn't prime the area to fix it up.


Speaking of the painters: I got an email from them a few weeks back, apologizing for everything and saying they appreciated what I had to say on Yelp. Not the first time I had companies track me down for something I said on Yelp, but that's for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment