Monday, December 2, 2013

Day 120 of 365: Paul Walker

The fact of the matter is that there really isn't anything else I want to talk about. Say what you want about feeling deeply about celebrity deaths, but, oh well.


Paul Walker died a few days ago in a tragic car accident. I'm a huge fan of the Fast & Furious franchise, I recognize the horrific irony in the situation, and I don't find the jokes all that witty.


I might be completely wrong. Hollywood is all about image and faking it, but Paul Walker seemed like a pretty stand-up guy. He was under-the-radar involved with a ton of charities. He saw an army serviceman looking at rings with his to-be-fiancee and he told the jeweler to put their purchase on his bill -- a story that didn't come out until after he died. In a world where pretty boys in Hollywood become the biggest douchebag party-goers, Paul Walker seemed to keep a pretty low profile. And I respect the hell out of that.


My heart breaks for his family -- especially his 15-year-old daughter -- as well as the family of his friend, the driver of the car. My heart breaks for his co-star Tyrese, who visited the crash site and broke down. People are getting up in arms about how "speed might have been involved" and so on. But who doesn't disobey the speed limits? God knows there have been a few times that I've sped down the highway going near-80 when the speed limit was 55. And, if you're an avid car fan and used to driving fast cars, you don't think about those things twice. And, touching upon a very old entry in this blog, if we are going to act like they deserved to die because of something like speeding, then we all deserve to die for the stupid shit we do on a daily basis.


That's my post for today. That's how I feel. It might be made more intense by the murky weather but, again, oh well. Here's my chair, here's my opinion, take it or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment